Monday, November 29, 2010

My lifes been sweetened with honey!

Couldn't be happier.....In a sugar coma heaven......Pure BLIZZzzZZZZzz.
    
      About a week ago I finally was able to borrow an extractor from an old boss who is a beekeeper. The extractor I borrowed from him was a hand crank operated spinner, and it held three frames at a time. as you can see in the photo it's a large piece of equipment. So I called my parents around 6pm and told them I was on my way with all the honey. They were both thrilled! (little did they know how messy and time consuming this project was about to be.) So I showed up with one honey shallow one extractor and a bucket.

          Ideally if you had all the snazzy tools that all the beekeeping books tell you to have, you would also be prepared with a heated knife tool however that's hogwash, your should always be resourceful all that fancy equipment will cost you a fortune and lets face it this is an expensive hobby, and one we do for the love of the bees. long story short i used a fork and scored the wax capping (over the basin) you can score both sides before placing your frames in the extractor however i've found its much less messy if you do one side at a time facing the scored side facing outward.
     
              Once you have three frames in your spinner....... Well? Start spinning! This is the fun part,at first anyway then your arm starts to go numb so get helpers. Make a party out of it. Get a bottle of mead cheese and crackers people will come!

            You'll know when you've drained the honey from your frames they'll still glisten but the honey wont pool up.Score the other side and repeat the spinning. Caution don't try and be Hercules with this. My dad thought he'd show off to us all by torquing on it so fast i thought it would start hovering. When I finally got him to stop so we could take a look , the other side was begin to sort of implode due to cylindrical force. It was pretty funny to watch though .

            So as you're spinning the honey and wax capping begins to pool in the bottom of the basin. This is where you need a clean bucket! place under then honey gate and here we go!! YUMMY I couldn't wait I stuck my finger in the sticky stream of honey it was tangy like citrus!

No comments:

Post a Comment